Sunday, August 15, 2010

An Audience of One

"How can you believe if you accept praise from one another, yet make no effort to obtain the praise that comes from the only God?"
John 5:44, NIV

It's so very easy to live in constant fear of man.
Everywhere we look, we are given a standard to be a certain way, to act a certain way, to want a certain kind of praise from certain kinds of people. It gets confusing. It gets frustrating. Does anyone ever live up to the (multiple/dualistic/superficial/spastic) standards of men?

Why do we get down on ourselves when we don't?

When we look in the Bible, we see a different standard. But how much are we looking to that standard of how to live? Without effort, we are inundated with the standard of man, but it takes effort to understand and digest and yearn for the standard of God. And when you do start to digest God's standard, you realize - "This is impossible. I can't ever live up to this way of living."

But why do we get down on ourselves when we don't?
We have already been told that we can't.

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
Romans 3:23, ESV

It doesn't end there, though. For although we fall short of God, we do not have to live in fear of falling short.

"There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."
Romans 8:1, ESV

With this Good News in mind, please be freed of the standard of man.
Live and breathe for an Audience of One.


"This Journey is My Own" - Sara Groves

When I stand before the Lord, I'll be standing alone.
This journey is my own.
Still I want man's advice, and I need man's approval,
but this journey is my own.

Why would I want to live for man and pay the highest price?
What would it mean to gain the whole world, only to lose my life?

So much of what I do is to make a good impression.
This journey is my own.
So much of what I say is to make myself look better.
This journey is my own.
'Cause trying to please the world, it was breaking me down,
It was breaking me down.

Now I live and I breathe for an audience of one,
Now I live and I breathe for an audience of one.
Now I live and I breathe for an audience of one,
'cause I know this journey is my own.

Why would I want to live for man and pay the highest price?
What would it mean to gain the whole world, only to lose my life?

You can live for someone else, and it will only bring you pain.
I can't even judge myself.
Only the Lord can say, "Well done."


3 comments:

  1. thanks for posting those lyrics. i should go listen to the song now. great post! :: sigh :: I really love Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara Groves' music has ministered to me over and over and over again. Do you have any of her music?

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for posting those lyrics. i should go listen to the song now. great post! :: sigh :: I really love Jesus.

    ReplyDelete