Sunday, May 29, 2011

Waste Not, Part Two: Homemade Facial Cleanser


Homemade Facial Cleanser


Castor Oil
Extra-virgin Olive Oil

Normal skin: 1-to-1 ratio of castor oil and EVOO
Dry Skin: 1 part castor oil, 3 parts EVOO
Oily Skin: 3 parts castor, 1 part EVOO

Mix together, pour a quarter-sized amount into palm, massage onto dry skin (do not rub).
Wet a washcloth with hot water and place on face until cloth is room temp.
Rinse cloth and gently wipe off oil.

I have very weird skin. It's super dry but I still tend to break out. I really don't fall into any specific skin-type category, so I just went with the original recipe and figured I could easily tweak it later on.

Anyways, I got to try this out with my housemate, Jocelyn. It turned into quite the adventure!


So we applied it...


...and sat for a minute with the washcloth...


...and LOVED the results.


My skin felt soft, smooth, and this morning, it was clearer than the day before. I am so excited to find such a cheaper, simpler, less wasteful way to wash my face.

Obviously, I give this recipe 5 out of 5 stars.

I stocked up on borax and washing soda for laundry and dish detergent, but we're pretty much set for the time being. So it may be a couple more months before I make something again. I am interested, however, in the homemade shampoo and conditioner, albeit hesitant. Has anyone tried homemade shampoo/conditioner? I might end up trying it out just for kicks.

Credit where credit is due:
These recipes are from this lovely woman who published this lovely book.
I highly recommend purchasing it and supporting her!

12 comments:

  1. My sister, mom, and several of my friends do the oil cleansing method. I don't, simply because I'm too lazy to clean my face at all. Just as an FYI, two of them nearly gave up after a few weeks because they started having issues, but over time they adjusted the recipe and came up with something that worked right for their skin type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, good to know. So there may be an adjustment period, but I should stick with it. Do you mind asking what sorts of issues they had so I can be prepared?

    So far, my skin has never been clearer. I'm hoping I can get to the point where I don't need makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT and LOVE YOU! can't wait to see the face of that sweet little babe!!!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. for a while i was using the whole baking soda wash, white vinegar rinse method on my hair. i had no problems, actually liked it a lot but just got lazy about making up the solution every couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you think this will clear up my zits that continually pop up? I get them all the time which doesn't help with me having zit scars as is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Usually I have really dry skin on the majority of my face, a couple normal parts, and then some oily parts (like around my nose and chin).

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Nora - did it make your hair oily for a time? Would you recommend it? I kind of want to restore my hair to its natural state, so I'm super interested in trying it. I'm glad I know someone who has tried it! You give me some inspiration. :)

    @Victoria - I have super dry skin too, and I think that's why my face breaks out a bunch (dry skin + facewash = dryer skin + lotion = clogged pores). So I've found that I don't need any lotion any more or a very little bit, my face is not dry, and my breakouts have decreased. There is a possibility that you may break out initially, but I would give it a good week or two to see how it reacts with your skin. And you can always tweak the recipe. Honestly, I would seriously try it!! I hope it works out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @crystalface ; ) - I miss your blog! But I understand if you are too busy. But still. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a bit reluctant because I have super oily skin, but I'm very tempted. What aisle would I find the Castor Oil in?

    Also, I've tried the vinegar rinses before, but it was difficult for me to really get it through my hair. (I think because of how thick it is - it's like the Antarctic down parka of hair compared to the more average spring jacket. And that was a weird analogy...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Anna - try 3 parts castor oil, 1 part EVOO. The castor oil is really hard to find. Finally, I just asked someone in the pharmacy. It was in an obscure aisle with random kid medicine. I would just ask someone in the pharmacy at your supermarket or CVS or something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. for a while i was using the whole baking soda wash, white vinegar rinse method on my hair. i had no problems, actually liked it a lot but just got lazy about making up the solution every couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. P.S. Usually I have really dry skin on the majority of my face, a couple normal parts, and then some oily parts (like around my nose and chin).

    ReplyDelete